Page 1 of 1 pages
(1 pictures)
Picture relating to Avenel - titled 'Avenel'


contributed by greenfingers, taken in 1860
(contact greenfingers about this picture | see more pictures from greenfingers - open in new window)

Royal Mail Hotel built by J. Hilet approx 1852. Used as a coaching chance station for Express Coaches and other travellers to & from the North East Goldfields. Later owned by F. Ruffy who gave his name to the town "Ruffy" in the Strathbogie Ranges to the North. Later still it was purchased by Esau Shelton and was operated by the Shelton Family until it closed as a hotel in 1903. It has been maintained as a private residence and the site now includes the original railway single box from Mangalore.

This picture is also part of the Bonzle Hotels (open in new window) photo collection.