Page 1 of 1 pages
(1 pictures)
Picture relating to Brisbane - titled 'Wickham Terrace Presbyterian Church (1st), Brisbane, ca. 1869'

Wickham Terrace Presbyterian Church (1st), Brisbane, ca. 1869

contributed by QldPics, taken in 1869
(contact QldPics about this picture)

The first Wickham Terrace Presbyterian Church was designed by Benjamin Backhouse and dedicated on 11 November, 1864. It was initially named the Union Presbyterian Church as a mark of the union between the Presbyterians of Queensland and New South Wales. By 1865, it was known as the Wickham Terrace Presbyterian Church. It was replaced by a larger church on the same site in 1887, also known as the Wickham Terrace Presbyterian Church. The church and land were resumed by the government for the use of the railway, so in 1905 a new church, named St Andrew's Presbyterian Church, was erected on the corner of Creek and Ann Streets (Information taken from: P. Sayer, M. Jenner and P. Corey, comp., Brisbane City churches heritage tour, 1994).

This picture is also part of the following Bonzle photo collections: