Page 1 of 1 pages
(1 pictures)
Picture relating to Brisbane - titled 'Parliament House, Brisbane, ca. 1879'

Parliament House, Brisbane, ca. 1879

contributed by QldPics, taken in 1879
(contact QldPics about this picture)

The workers putting a colonnade on the north east elevation take a break for this photograph. The foundation stone for Parliament House was laid on 14 July 1865 and Parliament was first commissioned to meet here on 4 August 1868. The main structure of the building is of sandstone from Jeay's Quarry, Goodna. The architect was Charles Tiffin, colonial architect of Queensland, who won an Australia wide competition for the design. Tiffin envisioned a high, somewhat austere building grandly dominating its own great park and the main facade of the building was to command a view of open country sloping to the river. He adopted a modified French Renaissance style. (Description supplied with photograph)

This picture is also part of the following Bonzle photo collections: