Page 1 of 1 pages
(1 pictures)
Picture relating to Mackay - titled 'Mackay State School, ca. 1880'

Mackay State School, ca. 1880

contributed by QldPics, taken in 1880
(contact QldPics about this picture)

Taken looking north with the headmaster's residence on the left. The February 1874 additions to the school are the gabled constructions at either end of the original rectangular buildings. The skillion verandah and porch has probably been enclosed for extra rooms. By 1880, there had been a phenomenal increase in the school population, and this accelerated in the next couple of years with the advent of the sugar boom. Steps were taken in 1881 to establish a second school for girls and infants which opened in 1885.
In 1893, following the construction (from the timber and iron of the former Kanaka hospital) of a massive Mackay Boys' School, this building was sold for removal, to become the detached kitchen on the home of builder Edward McKenzie Scott, on the corner of Macalister and Gordon (then Albert) Streets, a little over a block away. When the latter house was removed, the kitchen was lowered and became the den of the 7th Mackay Scout Troop. It was demolished in 1973. (Information taken from material originally researched by Berenice Wright of Mackay).

This picture is also part of the following Bonzle photo collections: