Page 1 of 1 pages
(3 pictures)
Picture relating to Mount Morgan - titled 'Miners working underground in the Mount Morgan Mine, 1903'
Picture relating to Mount Morgan - titled 'Shuttle train carrying ore at the Mount Morgan Mine, 1903'
Picture relating to Mount Morgan - titled 'Mount Morgan Mines complex, 1903'

Miners working underground in the Mount Morgan Mine, 1903

contributed by QldPics, taken in 1903
(contact QldPics about this picture)

Mining began at this site in 1882 to recover gold, but considerable quantities of silver and copper were also discovered. The Mount Morgan Gold Mining Company Ltd controlled the mining leases between 1886 and 1927. The company went into liquidation in 1927 following a disastrous underground fire and deliberate flooding of the workings in 1925. The company was reformed as Mount Morgan Limited (MML) in 1928. MML began open cut mining in 1932. The mine closed in 1990 and during the 108-year life of the mine approximately 262 tonnes of gold, 37 tonnes of silver and 387,000 tonnes of copper were mined from Mount Morgan from underground and open cut operations. (Information taken from The State of Queensland (Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Water) 2006, retrieved 14 March 2006 from

This picture is also part of the following Bonzle photo collections: