Page 1 of 1 pages
(5 pictures)
Picture relating to Charleville - titled 'School of Arts building, Charleville, ca. 1909'
Picture relating to Charleville - titled 'Cobb & Co. stables, Galatea Street, Charleville, ca. 1909'
Picture relating to Kingaroy - titled 'First Methodist Church being moved from Markwell Street, Kingaroy, 1909'
Picture relating to Yandina - titled 'Railway Station at Yandina, ca.1909'
Picture relating to Charleville - titled 'Charleville Railway station , ca. 1909'

School of Arts building, Charleville, ca. 1909

contributed by QldPics, taken in 1909
(contact QldPics about this picture)


Charleville is the largest town in South West Queensland and has a population of approximately 3300 people. It is a rich pastoral area and was first explored by Edmund Kennedy in 1847. Charleville was named by Surveyor W. Tully for his hometown in Ireland. Cobb and Co established their largest and longest running coach making factory in Charleville in 1886 and the railway line was connected from Brisbane in 1888. Charleville was one of the first airports used by Qantas to fly paying passengers to Longreach in 1922. It is also home to the Royal Flying Doctor Service and the Charleville School of the Air.

This is the second School of Arts building. The first one was destroyed by fire in 1898. (Description supplied with photograph)

This picture is also part of the following Bonzle photo collections: