Page 1 of 1 pages
(1 pictures)
Picture relating to Chillagoe - titled 'Elevated view of the mining town of Chillagoe, North Queensland, ca. 1924'

Elevated view of the mining town of Chillagoe, North Queensland, ca. 1924

contributed by QldPics, taken in 1924
(contact QldPics about this picture)


Photograph is taken from a book produced as a Christmas gift from the Premier of Queensland and Mrs Theodore and features a presentation page allowing them to write the recipient's name in a space provided.

Chillagoe is located 140km west of Mareeba on the Atherton Tablelands. Chillagoe was first settled as a pastoral property by John Atherton's son William. Copper and silver was discovered in the area and mining was commenced. The Chillagoe smelter was opened in 1901 and at its peak over 1000 men were employed extracting gold, silver, copper, and lead from ores which were brought from the surrounding area. Today Chillagoe is a rare combination of a relic copper mine, historic town and limestone caves.

This picture is also part of the Bonzle Farming (open in new window) photo collection.