Page 1 of 1 pages
(6 pictures)
Picture relating to Charleville - titled 'Group of Charleville identities pictured outside the ambulance station, Charleville, ca. 1924'
Picture relating to Jimbour - titled 'Interior of one of the main reception rooms at Jimbour House on the Darling Downs, Queensland, ca. 1924'
Picture relating to Chillagoe - titled 'Elevated view of the mining town of Chillagoe, North Queensland, ca. 1924'
Picture relating to Kilcoy - titled 'Kilcoy Homestead estate map, featuring two farms and eleven township blocks, 1924'
Picture relating to Mount Crosby - titled 'Holt Family Farm in Swenson Road at Mount Crosby, ca. 1924'
Picture relating to Marburg - titled 'Cutting firewood on a sawbench at Steinhardt's farm, Marburg, 1924'

Group of Charleville identities pictured outside the ambulance station, Charleville, ca. 1924

contributed by QldPics, taken in 1924
(contact QldPics about this picture)

Charleville is the largest town in South West Queensland and has a population of approximately 3300 people. It is a rich pastoral area and was first explored by Edmund Kennedy in 1847. Charleville was named by Surveyor W. Tully for his hometown in Ireland. Cobb and Co established their largest and longest running coach making factory in Charleville in 1886 and the railway line was connected from Brisbane in 1888. Charleville was one of the first airports used by Qantas to fly paying passengers to Longreach in 1922. It is also home to the Royal Flying Doctor Service and the Charleville School of the Air.

Pictured back row from left: John Grimstead (Superintendent), A. M. Deutcher (grazier) ?. Front from left: Harry Corones, Ray O'Neill (Manager of the Commercial Bank of Sydney), John F. Locket (solicitor) and Mayor Albert Hollett. (Description supplied with photograph)
Corrections by GHollett.

This picture is also part of the following Bonzle photo collections: