Page 1 of 1 pages
(5 pictures)
Picture relating to Walhalla Historical Area - titled 'Walhalla Historical Area'
Picture relating to Grant - titled 'Grant Township'
Picture relating to Wedderburn - titled 'Holy Trinity Church Wedderburn'
Picture relating to Gulgong - titled 'Gorgeously maintained church'
Picture relating to Pinkett - titled 'Gwydir Highway'

Walhalla Historical Area

contributed by DerrickJessop, taken on 16 January 2005
(contact DerrickJessop about this picture | see more pictures from DerrickJessop - open in new window)

'Count' Strzelecki was the first European to pass through this area in 1840. On 26th December 1962 gold was discovered in Stringers Creek and from 1863 to 1900 a boom period saw the opening of many mines and the establishment of a number of towns. Walhalla, named after the German mythical Walhalla Hall of the Gods, and reflecting the presence of German prospectors, was the largest town. With 5,000 people in the district, Walhalla had 2,500 with 12 hotels, churches, schools, stores and a full range of service providers. This is the historical 'Corner Store'.

This picture is also part of the following Bonzle photo collections: