Page 1 of 3 pages
(33 pictures)
Picture relating to Waddamana - titled 'Waddamana Hydro Electric Power Station Museum TAS'
Picture relating to Waddamana - titled 'Waddamana Power Station Museum TAS'
Picture relating to Waddamana - titled 'Waddamana Hydro Electric Power Station Museum TAS'
Picture relating to Chichester Range - titled 'A Farmer needs a Plough'
Picture relating to Chichester Range - titled 'Clydesdales at Karragullen Show, WA'
Picture relating to Queensland - titled 'Killarney'
Picture relating to Black Mount - titled 'Black Mountain, Goldsborough Stn, Pentland QLD'
Picture relating to Dunmore - titled 'Dunmore'
Picture relating to Peelwood - titled 'Peelwood'
Picture relating to Square Rock - titled 'Square Rock grassy wetlands at saddle'
Picture relating to Cooinbil Hut - titled 'Cooinbil Hut has pre-erected horse yrds'
Picture relating to Gungahlin - titled 'Lush green grass surrounds Gungahlin'
Picture relating to Alpha - titled 'Alpha'
Picture relating to Wild Horse Mountain - titled 'Wild Horse Mountain'
Picture relating to Wild Horse Mountain - titled 'Wild Horse Mountain'
Picture relating to Wild Horse Mountain - titled 'Wild Horse Mountain'

Browse by page:

- select a page

Sort the collection:

Narrow the collection:

Collection currently narrowed to the year 2010.
Click here to show pictures for all years

- click on a year

- click on a type of place

Waddamana Hydro Electric Power Station Museum TAS

contributed by GraemeReid, taken on 4 February 2010
(contact GraemeReid about this picture | see more pictures from GraemeReid - open in new window)

A view of a Pelton wheel turbine and a generator. This is one of the later seven units, installed between 1918 and 1923 and is partly dismantled to show the workings. Pelton turbines are used when the water that turns them falls from a great height which was in this case, 1,123 feet. These 8,000 horsepower units operated at 375 revolutions per minute and produced 6,000 kilowatts.
The Pelton wheel turbine runner that turned the generators, were made by Boving and Co. Limited London; while the alternating current generators were made by General Electric co. Schenectady, N.Y,. U.S.A.. Between 1912 and 1922, until a road was built, heavy equipment such as this, had to be delivered by means of a wooden tramway constructed through the dense forest country with teams of horses pulling the loads..

This picture is also part of the Bonzle Waterfalls (open in new window) photo collection.