Page 1 of 484 pages
(7742 pictures)
Picture relating to Richmond - titled 'Richmond - Pugh's Lagoon'
Picture relating to Crows Nest Road Mine - titled 'Crows Nest Road open Pit Mine'
Picture relating to Dover - titled 'Dover'
Picture relating to Witchcliffe - titled 'Witchcliffe'
Picture relating to Brookton - titled 'Brookton'
Picture relating to York - titled 'York'
Picture relating to Yarra River - titled 'SS Beltana Duke & Orrs Drydock Yarra River'
Picture relating to St George - titled 'St George'
Picture relating to Devon Consols Gm Mine - titled 'Devon Consols Gm Mine 1905?'
Picture relating to Success Mine - titled 'Varrie Success Mine Today Known as Success Mine'
Picture relating to Courts Island - titled 'Courts Island'
Picture relating to Jandowae - titled 'Jandowae'
Picture relating to Belconon Mine - titled 'Belconon Mine'
Picture relating to Wonthaggi - titled 'Steam Locomotive at State Coal Mine Wonthaggi '
Picture relating to Burekup - titled 'Burekup'
Picture relating to Crossman - titled 'Crossman'

Browse by page:

- select a page range

      Sort the featured pictures:

      Narrow the featured pictures:

      - click on a year

      - click on a type of place

      Newport power station and Williamstown vehicle ferry

      contributed by GraemeReid, taken in 1964
      (contact GraemeReid about this picture | see 1857 more pictures from GraemeReid - open in new window)

      Newport power station and Williamstown vehicle ferry 1960s. The ferry, near the mouth of the Yarra River with a capacity of about 25 cars, is the way vehicles crossed the Yarra River at this location before the Westgate Bridge was built and was powered with a steam engine. The ferry pulled itself across the river by heavy chains which sank to the bottom to allow ships to pass over it. The Newport Power Station built about the time the suburban railways were electrified, has been replaced with a 500 mw gas powered station nearby. The old power station shown in the picture was powered by trainloads of briquettes from the Latrobe Valley and has now been demolished.